Communication psychology Assessment Information
Students must be able to:
1. Critically analyse the role of persuasion techniques in a marketing communications setting
2. Analyse the use of persuasive communication
3. Provide a detailed analysis of arguments related to a specific element of persuasive communication
4. Develop a piece of persuasive communication and justify its elements.
CW2: Individual Essay will collectively assess intended learning outcomes 1-4.
The coursework comprises of an individual 2300 word essay + Advert:
• Choose a product category (e.g. car, make-up, supermarket, perfume, mobile phone, fast-food etc) and find TWO different PRINT adverts from TWO DIFFERENT COMPANIES that COMPETE to sell a product in this category. Compare and contrast the advertising and persuasion techniques used in these two adverts and specify which of these adverts you believe to be the most effective. Use theories to justify your decision. (Example: If you choose fast-food you can decide to compare an advert from McDonald’s with an advert from KFC; if you choose supermarkets you can compare ASDA with TESCO etc).
Communication psychology Assessment
• CREATE your own PRINT advert, which will COMPETE WITH THE TWO ADVERTS CHOSEN ABOVE. This advert must sell a NEW PRODUCT in the category you have chosen. Use theories you’ve learnt in this module to create the most effective advert possible and describe how and why you believe your advert to be successful. (Example: If you have chosen fast-food, you have to create a new company that also sells fast food and design an advert which competes with the adverts of McDonald’s and KFC). NB: YOUR ADVERT CAN EITHER 1) BE DEVELOPED ONLINE AND SUBMITTED WITH YOUR CW, OR 2) DRAWN BY HAND AND SUBMITTED BY HAND TO THE MODULE LEADER. YOU MAY USE ANY SOFTWARE YOU LIKE, BUT PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU WILL NOT BE JUDGED ON THE DESIGN OF THE ADVERT BUT ON THE USE OF ADVERTISING/PERSUASION TECHNIQUES AND THEIR ANALYSIS. THIS IS WHAT YOU SHOULD BE FOCUSING ON.