CSCI 4171 NETWORKS AND COMMUNICATIONS ASSIGNMENT The objective of this study is to help you build the skills necessary to do an in-depth study and analysis of a
industry-driven networking topic. A list of case study topics and a short summary are given below. For some
case studies, a link to a reference is also given.
Here’s what you need to do:
• Select a topic from the list. All the topics are on the latest areas in networking. In order to ensure that
there is a good random distribution among topics, you will select the topic based on the last digit in your
• Conduct a study on the topic by reading online resources. You will find good online resources from
company white papers and also by visiting the Dalhousie University Library website and surfing through
IEEE and ACM databases.
• Summarize and write a report based on your understanding of the topic, the latest research trends, and
the challenges. CSCI 4171 NETWORKS AND COMMUNICATIONS ASSIGNMENT
• Submit the report on Brightspace in PDF form by December 20th, 2020, 11.59 PM
Length of the report: 1500 words. (this will be approximately 3-4 pages single line spacing)
Place figures/diagrams on additional sheets at the end of the report.
Include citations in proper format at the end of the report.
Figures and citations are not included in the length of the report.
1. BUILDING AN NTERNET OF THINGS (IoT) APPLICATION
This case study entails an understanding of the basic components and building blocks of IoT and designing one
application. A good starting point to come up with some nifty ideas for simple applications with IoT is
Take a look at the projects in the above website and suggest one application that interests you. Using a strategy
similar to the design examples given on the website, design your application. The case study submission will just
be a “design on paper” (that is, you will not actually implement CSCI 4171 NETWORKS AND COMMUNICATIONS ASSIGNMENT