ESL 5 Research Paper ESL 5 Research paper provides you with an opportunity to write professionally about a
topic of your interest.
Select a topic based on your academic major or your interest.
This research paper should be written in a format of an informative essay. Your
purpose is to educate your readers about a certain topic; it is not to argue for or
against something. Therefore, you are not allowed to use the first person (“I”) or the
second person (“you”). Focus on using specific nouns, 3rd person, and passive voice.
You need to have a balance of direct quotes and paraphrases. Remember that you
need to use direct quotes for data and statistics. You can use paraphrases for stories
and extensive examples from sources.
Required Sources: You need to use 7-12 sources. The type of sources you select depend
on the topic you choose.
ESL 5 Research Paper
In order to complete the research paper assignment successfully, you need to
complete the following sections:
1. ESL 5 Research Paper Proposal (5 points)
2. ESL 5 Research Paper- PART 1: Introduction
* Minimum word count for the Part 1: 200 words (5 points)
3. ESL 5 Research Paper- PART 2: Body Paragraphs
* Minimum word count for the Part 2: 1, 200 words (includes citations) (10 points)
4. ESL 5 Research Paper- PART 3: Conclusion-
* Minimum word count for the Part 3: 200 words (5 points)
5. ESL 5 Research Paper- FINAL DRAFT (Complete Research Paper) (15 points)
* Minimum word count for the Complete Research Paper is 1,600 words.
* The complete paper must be:
a) printed and submitted in class
b) submitted on Canvas
Important Note: While the individual parts are graded for the content and the
development of ideas, the Complete Research Paper is graded for the quality of writing
(grammar, punctuation, spelling, word and collocation usage) and integration of
ESL 5 Research Paper
The ESL 5 Research Paper must follow the Modern Language Association (MLA)
format, and all the writing assignment requirements stated in the course syllabus.
If you have a difficult time figuring out your own topic, you can consider some of the following
topics that students wrote about in previous quarters:
• Contemporary Slavery
• Human Trafficking in …. (certain countries)
• Child Marriage in … (certain countries)
• Press Censorship in … (certain countries)
• The Health Care System in ….(certain countries)
• Child Soldiering in … (certain countries)
• Drug Cartels in … (certain countries)
• Drug Abuse in … (certain countries)
• Intercultural Communication
• Equity Issues in … (certain countries)
• Parenting in Different Cultures
• Mindfulness and Meditation
• Strategies for Successful Entrepreneurship
• Tolerance and Acceptance
Need help with a similar assignment?