You have an option to work with a partner on this project. If you opt to work with a partner: 1)
select one of the root causes that you, or your partner has identified in the map and focus your report
on a solution to that particular root cause; and 2) submit a single report with both partner names
included. LSCI 1301 Troubled Waters Assignment
If you opt to work on your own for this project, focus on the root cause that you had identified in the
map and focus on a solution to that root cause.
Your ocean problem-solution report will include the following sections:
1. The wicked problem: clearly identify and describe the main issue that your group had
evaluated in the map (e.g., oil spills or overfishing, etc.). Explain why this problem is wicked
and describe the ecological, economic, and social implications of this problem.
2. Cause: Briefly describe your specific root cause (i.e., the 5th why, that you personally identified as
your focus in the cause & effect map).
3. Solution to your root cause: Describe the strategy (i.e., the solution) used to address the root cause
that was identified in point 2. Critique the solution, by evaluating a minimum of 3 benefits and 3
disadvantages of the proposed strategy. Make sure to consider the feasibility and any challenges that
may arise in the process of its implementation from an ecological, economic or social perspective.
4. Conclusions & Recommendations: Provide a summary of your findings and your
recommendations; explain what actions need to be taken and why it is critical to take them to ensure
the well-being of the planet and us. LSCI 1301 Troubled Waters Assignment
5. Reference list: Reference list (of cited sources) should be provided in alphabetical order at the end
of the assignment. Use a minimum of 7 references, and a minimum of 4 sources from academic,
peer-reviewed journals throughout the paper. All references used MUST BE cited in-text to get
credit for their use and should be from reputable sources (e.g. websites such as NOAA, NASA); do LSCI 1301 Troubled Waters Assignment