MATH 115 Elementary Statistics Assignment The purpose of this paper is to have the student find actual application for statistical material from the
classroom in the analysis of statistics found outside the classroom. It can take on multiple formats. You
can use the “Research Paper Guide” on the back of this page as an outline to guide your submission.
Examples of possible topics can include:
• Take data from work and statistically analyze it
o Sales by day or month (number or volume)
o Number of times something happens or time between occurrences
• Take an area of interest and analyze it
o Batting Averages or QB ratings over time or between/among teams
o Horse racing results; sports, records; census data
o What bets are best for the “house” or bettor in Atlantic City
o Lottery odds and payouts. Does it EVER pay to buy a ticket?
• Critical analysis of statistics presented in the media (internet,newspaper,TV,etc.)
o Political polls MATH 115 Elementary Statistics Assignment
o Changes in unemployment or other economic data
o Any other statistic of your choice
• Your own teacher-approved topic
o Develop and evaluate your own experiment
o Critically discuss an applied statistics book
Statistical methods can include (but are not limited to):
• Application of binomial probability theory; expected value
• Z- or t-tests (1 or 2 sample hypothesis tests)
• Correlation analysis
• Regression analysis
• Check for dependence/independence of variables
• Please check the course schedule to determine when specific topics will be covered in class.
Support will be given inside/outside of class to allow you to begin your analysis/research using
• Thesis statement – a statement of what you intend to support or demonstrate
• Discussion of procedures – the procedures you used in the attempt to support your thesis. For a
critical analysis, the actual critical analysis of your subject.
• Test data or analysis – your actual results
• Inferential analysis – What do your data tell you? What are your conclusions/ positions?
NOTE: Any paper that proposes to develop a hypothesis (e.g. Higher QB ratings win more games)
MUST use a statistical analysis to support or not support the hypothesis.
DATE: Paper due: Monday, December 14 MATH 115 Elementary Statistics Assignment