Part I -Written Assessment 30%
Part II – Referencing Quiz – 20%
|Unit Name||Evidence Informed Nursing Practice|
|Type||Part I – Written Assessment|
|Due date||Wednesday, 26 September by 11:45pm (Week 10)|
|Unit Learning Outcomes Assessed:||2. Utilise evidence-based frameworks to locate resources that support person safety and quality.
3. Explore ethical considerations in evidence-based nursing practice.
|Word Limit||1000 words +/- 10%|
|Details||This assignment has a focus on evaluating and referencing clinical practice guidelines, evaluating and referencing reputable websites, and analysing ethical considerations in evidence-based nursing practice. You will also need to access the National Safety and Quality Health Service Standards.
Setting the scene for your assignment
You are a nursing student on clinical placement in an emergency department. You have observed there has been an increased number of patients coming in with suspected sepsis and depending on the staff treating them, a variety of treatments have been given with varying success. Currently, the department does not follow any one practice, and they do not have any policies on the timing of antibiotic administration in suspected sepsis patients. Your RN asks you to search all the current evidence to assist the department to update their policies and procedures to reflect the current evidence and guide clinical practice.
What do you need to do next?
Following on from your searches in Assessment 1, you are to write a recommendation for the staﬀ to assist them in ensuring their practice aligns with the best available nursing practice. You also need to explore the ethical considerations for this scenario. First, appraise the evidence presented in clinical practice guidelines, websites and academic materials including journal articles, secondly, explore the ethical considerations, and finally suggest changes to reﬂect the evidence.
What sources of evidence you must use: You MUST use relevant clinical practice guidelines, reputable websites, credible journal articles and the National Safety and Quality Health Service Standards. You may also use relevant articles from your ﬁrst assessment.
To summarise how to set out your assessment:
1. Locate at least one relevant clinical practice guideline, reputable websites and a selection of credible journal articles. Summarise the current evidence and recommendations for this situation. Relate these findings to the National Safety and Quality Health Service Standards.
2. Describe the ethical considerations in relation to this scenario. Limit your discussion points to the four ethical principles (autonomy, beneficence, non-maleficence and justice). These exact words MUST be included in the discussion.
3. Provide 2-4 clear suggestions to guide the facility to incorporate this evidence into policies and clinical nursing practice. Justify your suggestions.
1. Summary of evidence and recommendations.
2. Ethical considerations.
3. Suggestions for facility to incorporate evidence-based nursing practice.
|Notes to Students||The format of your assignment should be as follows:
Formatting: i) APA reference list items use a hanging indentation; and ii) the first line of each paragraph should be indented; see example and the APA referencing guide on the Moodle site for guidance.
*All students should refer to the marking criteria available on the unit Moodle site
|TOTAL MARKS: 30 = 30% of Grade|
Assessment 2 Part II
ONLINE REFERENCING QUIZ.
Ten questions with two (2) parts each.
TOTAL MARKS: 20 = 20% of grade