Use of Psychopharmacology in Mental Health Essay
Design of experimental research
Extended essay on the use of psychopharmacology in a given area of mental health
In this module, we reviewed the biological basis of our behaviour, as revealed by several decades of research in psychology, physiological anatomy, pharmacology, n******ochemistry, and endocrinology. Specifically, in Week 4 you conducted a systematic review on the biopsychology of a given disorder—what academics have theorized about it and what research findings reveal.
For your Final Project, you will compare theory with practice, as you analyze the way in which practitioners make (or don’t make) use of the knowledge summarized in Week 4 Hand-in Assignment. Your research question will be as follows:
Is pharmacological practice coherent with what the literature reveals (or suggests) about the biological mechanisms of the condition?
Week 4 Hand-in Assignment is attached as file name HIA1 Job Burnout.
To prepare for this Final Project:
• Identify and locate two professionals whose practice includes the pharmacological treatment of persons with the disorder you analyzed in the Week 4 assignment (e.g., schizophrenia). They may be psychologists, psychiatrists, general practitioners, pharmacists or any other suitable professional. (This may vary depending on your own country and context.) You can use your personal network of acquaintances, if that helps.
• Discuss with your Instructor the adequacy of the persons you intend to interview. You must obtain your Instructor’s authorization before proceeding to the interviews.
• Complete a Participant Information Sheet (PIS) and Consent Form for each participant. Use the templates provided.
Note: Participants recruited for your class assignment should sign a consent form. You will need to secure this consent form in a locked cabinet or other locked, private device for 5 years as stipulated by the ethics committee for student research at the university. It is important that you maintain the anonymity of the participant and protect that participant’s privacy.
Use of Psychopharmacology in Mental Health Essay
• Discuss the details of your interview with the selected practitioners, and present them with the PIS and Consent Form.
• Conduct a short interview where you should gather, at least, the following information. (This is just a guideline. You are expected to adapt it to your own context and to the interviewees.):
o How many patients with the disorder do they treat/have they treated in their career/have they treated recently?
o What drugs do they currently prescribe for the treatment of the disorder?
o What alternative drugs are available?
o Are there different drugs for different patients/symptoms/seriousness of the condition?
o What is the dosage/duration of treatment?
o In what sense (if any) have these drugs evolved during the interviewee’s career?
• You should record the interviews and transcribe them.
• You must not request (or if provided, transcribe) any personal details of any person other than the interviewee. This especially refers to patients’ data.
• If you fail to identify and obtain the collaboration of two suitable practitioners, you must contact your Instructor as soon as possible, and your Instructor will provide an alternative solution. However, you are strongly encouraged to try to locate potential interviewees in your own context.
• Conduct research on the biopsychological mechanisms of the drugs. Use the manufacturer’s information on the label or leaflet, brochures, websites, etc. You can also use other published evidence (e.g., in academic journals).
• Analyze the relationship between the biopsychological mechanisms in the pharmacological treatment of the disorder, as revealed by the information gathered, and the results of the systematic review conducted on Week 4. Are they coherent? Do the drugs tackle all biological mechanisms identified?
If you find you have difficulty finding appropriate professionals to interview, please contact your instructor for an alternative. Please do this as early on in the week to allow for enough time to complete the assignment.
To complete this Final Project:
By Day 7 (Wednesday) of Week 8
• Upload a report no longer than 2500 words. There is no minimum word count, and the quality of your arguments, rather than the number of words, will be considered (but if you write a really short report, you must make sure it is of exceptional quality).
• You must follow the publication norms of the American Psychological Association.
• Your essay should include the following parts:
c. Selected research topic
d. Main text, including:
o Methodology followed (at least, identification of the interviewees; place, time and duration of the interviews)
o Summary of the main findings from the interviews. You can organize this by questions, by general areas, or by any other suitable criterion. Make sure you articulate your ideas in an organized, clear and concise format, developing a cogent argument supported by relevant evidence, and maintaining in your writing an acceptable standard with respect to grammar, punctuation and spelling.
o Summary of the biopsychological mechanisms of the drugs being utilized, indicating sources of information.
o Critical comparison of those biopsychological mechanisms with the mechanisms identified in your Week 4 assignment.(attached as a HIA1 Job Burnout)
e. References for the sources cited. (This will not be considered for the final word count.)
f. Appendix with the transcriptions of the two interviews (this will not be considered for the final word count) and copies of the PIS and Consent Forms. Use of Psychopharmacology in Mental Health Essay